Mughlai vegetable biryani
Vegetable BiryaniMughlai vegetable biryaniMegha Menon
White poppy seeds
- Boil water in a vessel. Once the water boils add rice, lemon juice and salt. Cook until rice is only partially done.
- In a separate vessel, boil water and then add chopped carrots, beans, cauliflower and green peas. Cook until partially done.
- Grind poppy seeds, cashews and coconut. Set aside
- In a pan, heat oil, add chopped onions and cook until brown. Then add cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf and clove. Saute for 30 secs. Add the poppy seed-cashew-coconut mixture and cook for another 30 secs.
- Add chopped tomatoes, a little water and cook for 2 mins.
- Remove the pan from the flame, add yogurt and stir. This step prevents the yogurt from curdling when cooking. Place the pan back on the flame and cook the mixture for another 30 secs.
- Add cumin powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Then add the partially cooked vegetables. Mix everything together and set aside.
- In a deep dish, first add a layer of partially cooked rice. Then add the mixture of vegetables. Add some chopped mint and coriander. Again add a layer of rice, vegetables, chopped mint and coriander. Repeat this process until the vegetable mixture has been used up.
- Add a final layer of rice over the vegetables and some chopped coriander.
- Now cook the rice and vegetables in the deep dish until the rice is soft. Pour ghee or melted butter over the cooked rice and then set aside.
- Take half a cup of warm milk and add a few strands of saffron to it. Set it aside until the milk turns yellow.
- Chop one onion to very thin slices. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion slices until dark brown.
- Once the milk turns yellow, pour the milk and saffron over the rice.
- Finally garnish rice with fried onions and serve with raita.